Thursday, April 23, 2009

Response to Mr. Amarjit Singh's e-mail

Dear Amarjit
 
I am well. Thank you. I trust you are doing well too.
 
1. It is not a question of liberty. You have all the rights to do so. You could have always sent BCC. I appreciate that you sent CC. As a matter of fact, I believe that by sending copies to others there is a better understanding and development  of trust between the members. One remains connected to each other and we truly act as a co-operative Society. Failing which, I believe, it will become a Pvt. Ltd. Company.
 
2. Contrary to what you have requested, I have to request you to not take away my or for that matter any one's right not to mark copies to other members. In fact I would request you to send this mail to all the members such that all of us could benefit.
 
We do need to discuss between the members our thought process as to what we think is right for us as a Society and how should we progress. In a fast paced world e-mail is perhaps an effective way to remain connected to each other. To illustrate, I called you on Saturday 12th April. You could not take the call. I understand, you must have been tied up. Similarly others could be tied up when I call them up or they call me up to exchange notes. On e-mail, we still exchange notes and yet we respect each other's time.
 
3. I appreciate that you have been away on office tour. I also appreciate that you will hold a meeting as soon as you are back. However, if you start believing in what I believe, as pointed out in 2 above, may be our administration could be far far effective.
 
3. To illustrate, I do not agree that fixation of AGM has to wait for the MC to meet. That can be done over e-mail. Similarly, I do not appreciate why withdrawal of FIR against me has to wait for MC to meet. We have already lost substantial time on this. Your own e-mail is of 9th March, 2009. Look to me that nothing has moved since then. Could you update me on the progress achieved on that front.
 
4. Further, sending the Balance Sheet to members need not wait your instructions. We have kept a secretary and pay him a fancy salary for that. He is obliged to send B/s to members within a reasonable time say by Aug-Sept. What is the use of sending annual reports after elapse of 1 year. I hope that is not the intent. Any way past is past. May be no one asked for a B/s. I am requesting now. can we have the B/s now?
 
5. You have rightly touched the subject of swimming pool. You are a person of finance and will surely understand it better. Even a layman will understand a bit. Without financial closure, you need not and do not start a project. What was the fun of starting construction of swimming pool without having achieved financial closure? I am disappointed more because instead of having one incomplete project we have two incomplete projects. More the merrier does not have universal application. I am reminded of movie Hum hai Rahi pyar ke.
 
6. I am afraid I do not share your perception of there being a case of cost overrun. I have requested you to explain in my previous mail that whether this is a case of mismanaging the funds. I have not yet received an answer to that. To my mind, the funds were raised for site development and should have been used for site development alone.
 
7. You did call me up on 30th March, 2009 and discussed with me you intent of inducting Kailash and Rathore. I am amazed that you did not call up Kailash for that or for that matter Mr. Rathore. I have checked up with each of them. Normally people talk to person to be inducted before they share their thoughts with others. It is over 45 days since you spoke to me.  I am unable to hazard a guess as to the true reasons for this inordinate delay. May be you can throw some light.
 
At a tangent, may I add that when you keep the majority out, and for that matter specific members, you can not win their trust. I have always believed that before you ask people to trust you, it is imperative that you trust them first.
 
8. You have also mentioned of some members being intermittently out of town. I perceive that you must be referring to Mr. Joneja. He is on the high seas for good 8-9 months.  That was known when he was nominated.
 
9. I understand that more than meeting the lawyer, you need to meet the members. Kaushik has requested you to meet the members with who you have not met. Could you take out some time despite your pre-occupation?
 
10. I will be happy to discuss the lapses of the previous MC such that accountability could be fixed. My only request is that let us discuss in an open forum of members say AGM formal or informal rather than in a covert and surreptitious  manner as was done in 2005, because that will be a disaster.
 
I look forward to meeting you.
 
Regards
 
Sandeep Khurana
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 8:17 AM
Subject: Re: Financial implications of the mail from the Society

Dear Mr Sandeep Khurana
How are you? I have taken the liberty to mark a copy of this to some of our esteemed members who have written to me or with whom I have had dialogues on some of the larger subjects concerning the society.
 
I am in reciept of both your mails and have been out of Noida / Delhi on office tours. I am back on 27th April and will hold an MC meeting at the earliest to address these issues. Let me assure you that these issues are also on the top of our minds and the members together will need to find solutions as we move forward.
 
The MC is committed to move forward and these issues have already been highlighted in the letters we have sent. We may not have covered specifics like swimming pool etc but you and I jolly well know that the club house will cover all these! I have had meetings with the Architect and his team also in order to find out the state of Civil costs and the overruns for some of the items. Some monies have been spent on unbudgeted items too, like the green belt.
 
There are lots of areas which are of concern included in the letter ( which include increasing the MC to include some more members, however, two to three MC members have been intermittently out of town, hence the meeting to discuss all these issues has not been held ). We shall hold this soon and also decide  / discuss on a date for the AGM.
You too have raised issues on the Contractor's case. the MC needs to meet with the Lawyer to ascertain the facts.
 
May I request you to please refrain from copying all members till we get to the actual facts and stop assuming. We need to together build trust and bonding with each other to enable the Society to move forward. We can continue to dig the past, however, i may not be able to predict as to what damage it can do further, we are already behind by almost two years. The more we move on the past can only set us backwards. There may have been many lapses ever since the Society was formed from late 1990's, many monies spent on behalf of members by the past MC's ( large sums after 2003) , but if we need to dig into all that...my question is what are we gaining?
 
The MC's endeavour is have things completed before the Commonwealth Games so that our value creation can pay us dividends. The Commonwealth games date may just be a target for us to set our eyes on either to start living, dispose, rent our properties. ]
 
Kind regards,
 
Amarjit Singh